4 Tips for Finding the Right Mortgage Lender
Homeownership is one of the most rewarding investments a person can make. Buying a home has benefits— including building equity in a strong market, having a set affordable monthly payment, and the ability to customize your home. In hot markets, you may be in competition with multiple offers for any given property. It’s important to choose the best mortgage lender for you.
Expertise in a Hot Market
Consider who can be your strongest ally in a hot market. While we expect the market to cool slightly this year, things are still hot. Low inventory alongside lower interest rates (more buyers) means homes sell fast and often over appraisal value. An experienced lender can help position you as the best offer, provide solid advice, and get you the edge needed to close.
What to Look for in a Mortgage Broker
- A responsive lender who gets back to you promptly.
- A patient loan officer who takes the time to educate you and walk you through the options.
- A lender who consults based on your financial picture and needs (not commission-driven).
- Has 5-star Google reviews from past clients.
What to Avoid in a Mortgage Broker
- Pushy sales tactics and lenders who are commission-driven.
- Too busy to walk you through the options.
- Lack of loan options or lenders who focus on adjustable-rate mortgages (ARM) that have a surprise increase in the future.
- Lenders who feel shady or are green (not enough years of experience).
In many metropolitan areas, the housing market is hotter than ever. Use the tips above to vet lenders to ensure you choose a loan officer who will support you through the process by being an informative guide and your strongest advocate. A lender with a solid reputation and strong pre-approval letters is a must-have in this market.
Get started by determining affordability with our mortgage calculators.